The Lord IS our Trust





Scripture

“Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD.
(Jeremiah 17:7 NASB)
“For he will be like a tree planted by the water, That extends its roots by a stream And will not fear when the heat comes; But its leaves will be green, And it will not be anxious in a year of drought Nor cease to yield fruit.
(Jeremiah 17:8 NASB)

 

Observation


This statement struck me this morning because we often think or talk about trusting "in" the Lord, while at the same time we don't really think about the fact that the Lord IS our trust. There are two different levels of faith here. One is believing and trusting in God to take care of things while the other is at a deeper level where we don't just trust in God for certain circumstances but we allow God to be the foundation for everything in our lives. He IS our trust. When that happens we discover what Jeremiah is talking about in the following verse. When God is our trust then we are sustained by him because we are connected to the very source of help and strength which we need on a daily basis. When God is the trust we don't run out of resources because we are always connected to him.

 

Application


In a practical sense I see this lived out in my daily life with the Lord. I think there are times that I am trusting "in" him and then there are times when he IS my trust. When I am simply trusting "in" him I tend to want to maintain a certain level of control myself. However, when I step up to the level of allowing him to BE my Trust, then everything in life becomes centered on him. There is an incredible sense of peace when we come to that point. There is no need to worry about the things of life because they are all led, directed and watered by the one who sustains all things. This is the place to which God is inviting his children -- a place where we will find a level of peace and contentment as we have never experienced before because we allow God to take the reigns of everything. We begin to understand his will and purpose in the things that we do and that brings great satisfaction. We begin to see that we are his children, his instruments, his tools for his will and purpose here on this earth and there is a sense that I am in him and he is in me and his desires become my desires and again -- there is a place of peace.

I guess I keep going back to that word "peace" because in my own life that is what I have discovered when I remain connected to him on a daily basis -- when He IS my trust. It is such a beautiful place to be and there is such a sweetness to be found in him. We receive strength to sustain us even in the midst of immense pressure -- just as the scripture says -- because the roots run deep. The deep roots take us to the source of help and strength -- to the water -- even when oppressed by the heat of the day. And we are not anxious -- and we yield fruit, not because of our efforts, but because of the nourishment which comes from the one who IS our trust.

 

Prayer


Lord, thank you for being my trust -- and please help me to stay in that place today, and always! Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification