Playing Favorites



Scripture:

Psa. 121:1     I lift up my eyes to the hills—
        from where will my help come?
Psa. 121:2     My help comes from the LORD,
        who made heaven and earth.
 
Psa. 121:3      ¶ He will not let your foot be moved;
        he who keeps you will not slumber.
Psa. 121:4     He who keeps Israel
        will neither slumber nor sleep.
 
Psa. 121:5      ¶ The LORD is your keeper;
        the LORD is your shade at your right hand.
Psa. 121:6     The sun shall not strike you by day,
        nor the moon by night.
 
Psa. 121:7      ¶ The LORD will keep you from all evil;
        he will keep your life.
Psa. 121:8     The LORD will keep
        your going out and your coming in
        from this time on and forevermore.

Observation:

This Psalm is a reminder of the source of our strength. The hills around Jerusalem were dotted with foreign gods. Our help does not come from idols made with human hands, our help comes from God who made heaven and earth. It is this God who who cares for us day in and day out.

Application:

This entire Psalm is posted here because it’s simply one of my favorites. My grandfather knew this one by memory and when we visited my grandparents’ home, he would quote it almost every day. He was in his 90’s, not able to see or hear very well but he dearly loved his Savior. He almost died of pneumonia in his early 90’s and was disappointed he did not pass away, because he wanted to go and see his beloved Savior. However, he resigned himself to the fact that he was to stay around a little longer and pray. He felt that his life was a prayer ministry — quoting scripture and lifting people up in prayer. He knew where his help came from and he received strength from his beloved heavenly Father on a daily basis.

So yes, today I have played favorites with one of my favorites Psalms.

Prayer:

Lord, may I look beyond the skyline of the city and see my help. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification