Hope and Refuge


Scripture:


Psa. 62:5        For God alone my soul waits in silence,
        for my hope is from him.
6     He alone is my rock and my salvation,
        my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7     On God rests my deliverance and my honor;
        my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.

Observation:

David knew where his hope would come from. God was his refuge and he could put his trust in him. When everyone around him seemed to be against him, he could trust in God. He awaited God in silence, for he needed to hear that still sweet voice leading him to deliverance. David was a powerful warrior, but he knew where his strength really came from and he would trust in God.

Application:

Everyone needs a place to find hope and refuge. We may be tempted to seek out places of safety created by human hands. David had already learned that he needed to depend upon God, and so do we. I believe the secret of this entire passage is found in verse five where he lets us know that he waits in silence for God. This powerful warrior slowed down enough to allow the voice of God to speak to him. He knew the voice of God and would then follow.

We are called to do the same. For us to experience the hope and refuge found in God we must slow down and wait in silence for his direction. Our hope comes from him! God alone is our hope and salvation, but when we stand firm in him, we will not be shaken.

Prayer:

Lord, I trust in you and your leading today.   Amen.


Thank you to Nazarene Publishing House and Keri Mitchell for helping to create and publish Reflecting the Image. This is not a devotional book, but rather a collection of thoughts and stories which lead us in the direction of reflecting Christ. Click on the image to take you to the NPH bookstore.The book is also available in Kindle format on Amazon.com.




http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/nph/itempage.jsp?itemId=9780834135277

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification