A Display of Holiness


Scripture:
 
Ezek. 36:23 I will sanctify my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, and which you have profaned among them; and the nations shall know that I am the LORD, says the Lord GOD, when through you I display my holiness before their eyes.

Observation:

The people of God were to be holy representatives of God. Sadly their infidelity had resulted in not only their own demise, but the smearing of God’s reputation in the world. They were to have been the light and hope for humanity but instead of drawing people to God, they became attracted to the world. God’s own reputation was sullied by their behavior but God had a promise of a new hope and future. He would send the Holy Spirit who would sanctify his people so that his holiness could be displayed throughout the world.

Application:

For far too long in my tradition we tried to be God’s holy people by following a list of rules. Legalism nearly ate our lunch because somehow we came to believe that holiness was about us and not about God. Holiness is the reflection of the work of God in our lives. God was reminding the Israelites that they carried about his name and that it was his name and reputation that was at stake. It It is his holiness which is to be revealed, not our own personal holiness. The lives of God’s people are always to be pointing others in the direction of knowing God.

Walking daily with the Lord, getting to know him and fellowshipping with him results in transformation. The more time I spend with the Lord, the more I become like him and when the Spirit does his work in our lives, we are changed. His desires become my desires because I love him! Suddenly we realize that our lives aren’t bound by lists but are instead bound by desire, and then the standard becomes much higher than any list, because our desire is for Christ, himself! Together with Paul we declare, “I want to know Christ!” And as we walk in that passion and desire, suddenly the holiness of God is on display for all the world to see.

Prayer:

Lord, Please help me walk in you today and may people see you, not me. Amen.

If you would like to read more "Reflecting the Image"  click on the image to take you to the NPH bookstore.The book is also available in Kindle format on Amazon.com.



http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/nph/itempage.jsp?itemId=9780834135277



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification