Inheritance



Scripture:


Psa. 119:57        The LORD is my portion;
        I promise to keep your words.
58     I implore your favor with all my heart;
        be gracious to me according to your promise.
59     When I think of your ways,
        I turn my feet to your decrees;
60     I hurry and do not delay
        to keep your commandments.
61     Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,
        I do not forget your law.
62     At midnight I rise to praise you,
        because of your righteous ordinances.
63     I am a companion of all who fear you,
        of those who keep your precepts.
64     The earth, O LORD, is full of your steadfast love;
        teach me your statutes.

Observation:

The Psalmist understands the beauty of God’s word and the significance to life. The LORD becomes the portion, or inheritance. We become heirs of God’s precepts and are fed by all that this means for us. We are provided for by way of promise. We turn to God’s decrees and they lead us as we journey through life. The commandments become a part of our being and therefore there is no hesitation to follow. Because of the inheritance of the Word the law is not forgotten and we spend time in the quiet of our lives to study and pray.

We are drawn to others who share our love for the word and to those who follow God’s leading in their lives. As we study the Scriptures we are filled with the steadfast love of the Lord. God’s Word is the beautiful inheritance which brings the word to life.

Application:

Driving to the airport today I was listening to a preacher on the radio. I enjoy doing that from time to time while I travel, hearing different voices from across the country. Today’s preacher was really good and giving an excellent exegetical sermon on Paul’s ministry in Athens. I was thoroughly engaged in what I was hearing. I thought about the depth of study involved in the preparation for that sermon and all that I was learning from the Apostle’s experience.

What struck me about the sermon was the very depth of the scripture that spoke to me from across the ages. That is the beauty of studying the word. It is in this place that we learn the statues of God. This is something that the Psalmist had come to understand in his personal life. He created space where he was quiet and meditated on the word and in doing so it became a part of the very fiber of his being. He lived in accordance with God’s precepts because they were so familiar to him.

Serious study of the word is vital to our Christian lives. We cannot live according to the commands or the precepts of God if we don’t know what they are! This takes commitment and discipline on our part. We won’t know the Bible if we never read it and I’m afraid too many people “think” they know the Scriptures when, in fact, they do not. If we really knew the word, we would know the living Word and we would be a reflection of him. If we are not serious about our study we will never know Christ.

Our inheritance — the gift that we are to receive is knowing the Word. It’s ours to claim if only we will take the time to fully receive it!

Prayer:

Lord, thank you for this incredible inheritance.  Amen.

If you would like to read more "Reflecting the Image"  click on the image to take you to the NPH bookstore.The book is also available in Kindle format on Amazon.com.



http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/nph/itempage.jsp?itemId=9780834135277

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification