Testimonies and Decrees



Scripture:

Psa. 119:137        You are righteous, O LORD,
        and your judgments are right.
138     You have appointed your decrees in righteousness
        and in all faithfulness.
139     My zeal consumes me
        because my foes forget your words.
140     Your promise is well tried,
        and your servant loves it.
141     I am small and despised,
        yet I do not forget your precepts.
142     Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,
        and your law is the truth.
143     Trouble and anguish have come upon me,
        but your commandments are my delight.
144     Your decrees are righteous forever;
        give me understanding that I may live.

Observation:

The faithfulness of God is affirmed through the Psalmist. In this translation the word “decrees” is used, while in another the word “testimony.” The word “decree” sounds like a declaration from God and “testimony” more of a witness to the activity of God. But in this case God’s decrees are testimony to the very nature of God. Decrees and testimonies have something to do with righteousness — the rightness of God in the midst of difficulty. Words and actions become one and the same when it comes to God and therefore we can trust and believe.

Application:

Years ago when we were pastoring in Austin, Texas we would have “testimony” services. I loved hearing the testimonies or witnesses to the faithfulness of God. These words were a blessing to me as they encouraged me in my faith. They brought together the witness of the word and the witness of God’s activity in this world.

Words and actions are one and the same when it comes to God. For God’s children who are being transformed into the image of God, the same should be true. There should be no distinction between the two as as we seek to live a life that reflects God in this world. It is in doing so that our lives becoming living and active testimonies to the decrees of God. God becomes faithful and trustworthy through the witness of the lives of his children.

Prayer:


LORD, Please help me to live into your decrees and may you be reflected in my life. Amen.

If you would like to read more "Reflecting the Image"  click on the image to take you to the NPH bookstore.The book is also available in Kindle format on Amazon.com.



http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/nph/itempage.jsp?itemId=9780834135277

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification