Continual Growth


Scripture

Psa. 52:8        But I am like a green olive tree
        in the house of God.
    I trust in the steadfast love of God
        forever and ever.
9     I will thank you forever,
        because of what you have done.
    In the presence of the faithful
        I will proclaim your name, for it is good.

Observation

The call of God’s children is to become like a green olive tree within the Father’s house. These trees are a unique sight in the dry desert heat of the middle-east. They are green all year round and continually growing. They send off shoots which become new trees, spreading their fruits. God’s children are to be fed by continually trusting in God. The steadfast love of God feeds the heart and the soul and with great gratitude we live in that ever-nourishing relationship. Because of this, God’s children proclaim the name of the Lord, for what they have experienced is good!

Application


Continual growth can only come from on-going abiding in the presence of God. We become that green olive tree that remains fresh and growing at all times — even in the midst of a dry and dusty journey. Through the presence of the Holy Spirit we can produce new shoots of growth, brand new spiritual fruit. We can make all kinds of excuses about the hostile world in which we find ourselves but if God is providing the growth through steadfast love, then there will still be fruit. We are called to abide in God’s faithful presence each and every day.

As I think about abiding today I can't get this hymn off my mind for it is a sweet reminder of remaining in God.

Day by day, and with each passing moment,

Strength I find, to meet my trials here;

Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,

I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.

He whose heart is kind beyond all measure

Gives unto each day what He deems best—

Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,

Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day, the Lord Himself is near me

With a special mercy for each hour;

All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,

He whose name is Counselor and Power;

The protection of His child and treasure

Is a charge that on Himself He laid;

“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”

This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then, in every tribulation

So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,

That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation

Offered me within Thy holy Word.

Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,

E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,

One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,

Till I reach the promised land.

Abide and thrive in the steadfast love of God.

Prayer

Lord, may my heart be open to hearing from you today and everyday so that I may grow and thrive. Amen.

If you would like to read more "Reflecting the Image"  click on the image to take you to the NPH bookstore.The book is also available in Kindle format on Amazon.com.



http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/nph/itempage.jsp?itemId=9780834135277

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification