Struggling with Temptation


Scripture
 
Psa. 119:9        How can young people keep their way pure?
        By guarding it according to your word.
10     With my whole heart I seek you;
        do not let me stray from your commandments.
11     I treasure your word in my heart,
        so that I may not sin against you.
12     Blessed are you, O LORD;
        teach me your statutes.
13     With my lips I declare
        all the ordinances of your mouth.
14     I delight in the way of your decrees
        as much as in all riches.
15     I will meditate on your precepts,
        and fix my eyes on your ways.
16     I will delight in your statutes;
        I will not forget your word.

Observation

Purity of life has always been a challenge. The temptations of the flesh are great and yet, the Psalmist comes up with a solution. It is only by seeking God that one will not stray. The word of God becomes a weapon against sin. Jesus himself employed this tactic when he was tempted.

The LORD will teach us and lead us when we are absorbed in the word. It is in the Scriptures that we find our way. Praying the Scriptures can become a strength by day and by night. Temptation is destroyed as the focus becomes God’s word.

Application

Jesus, the incarnate word provides us with an great model for dealing with temptation. Knowing and meditating upon the Word is vital for our lives.

I began this journey of spending more concentrated time in God’s word about six years ago. I have followed a couple of different reading plans, but both in the desire to soak in the word. These plans have taken me to places in the scriptures where I may not have normally gone.  God has been speaking to me through these daily readings and I’ve learned more than I would have imagined. This discipline has helped me be able to bring the word more and more often into my daily life.

Seeking God with our whole heart includes study of the Scriptures. Devotional guides are good, but knowing the word is something different. The Psalmist believed that he had to really know the Scriptures to be able to deal with the temptations that he would face in life. As walking with the LORD  in the word on a daily basis becomes more natural, the more one knows God. A pathway has been provided to the LORD’s heart, and that is through the written word.

A life of purity is possible when the temptations of life are tackled with the word.  We must create space in our lives for soaking in the word and in this way, get to know God. The struggle remains real but the ability to face the issue is empowered by the strength found in  God.

Prayer


Lord, may my life be empowered by knowing you through your word. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification