Work Out Your Own Salvation

The beautiful body of Christ in the Dominican Republic


Scripture

Phil. 2:12   Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Observation

After laying out Jesus as the ultimate example of a life of humility, Paul now invites the Philippians to participate in the life of Christ. His pastoral concern is obvious in the way that he expresses his desire for these good people. They have obeyed him when he was with them, and now, with him in prison, his desire is for them to continue to grow spiritually. He tells them to work out their own salvation. This has the potential for misunderstanding, but his plan is not a “works” salvation, but rather a participatory salvation. He desperately wants the church to participate in the life of Christ, taking action to follow the example of Jesus Christ. 

The common life of the church is to be a place where they work and live out their salvation, and all of this is possible through the empowering of the Holy Spirit. When we participate in fellowship with God, then God works in and through us, transforming our will, and therefore our work. All of this is for the good pleasure of God. 

Application

The Christian life is to be one of action, where we are constantly transformed by our participation in the life of the Triune God. That participation has to come from the intentional “work” of our actions. What does that look like? 

  • Spending time in the Word is transformational and helps to provide a pathway for life. More than ten years ago now I began this process of spending time in the word, studying passages and looking at ways it could impact my life. I began journaling this SOAP method. My personal testimony is that this has been, at times, work, but it has been worth it. Today I have over 2000 journal entries that reflect what I have learned from the Word. This has changed me in my daily life, but also in my ministry. When I’m working on sermon preparation, I’ll go back to a passage to see what God revealed to me at a particular time in life. The Scriptures have become living and active in my life. This is the written document that we have been provided that allows us a way in which to know the heart of God. My participation in God requires me to work at knowing God through the written Word. 

  • Spending time in prayer changes me. Growing up I thought prayer was about me talking to God. I had my lists and my requests. As I’ve gotten older I’ve learned a great deal about prayer becoming a time of listening and simply resting in God’s presence. Even this act of quiet rest is work, for it requires the creation of intentional space and time to happen. However, when we learn to listen to God, then the still small voice provides mighty direction, allowing us to “will and work” for God’s good pleasure. 

  • Time in the word and prayer is not the end of the work, but simply preparation for the heavy work. Love of God has to be revealed in love of neighbor. Paul’s concern was specifically for the church to reflect the love of God. All across Paul’s world he encountered a clash of cultures. God was working among Jews who were accepting Jesus as the Messiah. They brought with them rituals and traditions that were very important to them and their understanding of the spiritual life. Paul’s missionary work took him to the Gentiles. Another word for Gentile is pagan. That word alone should give us an idea of how the Jews thought about these people and their attitude toward the sacred things of God. Even among those in the Roman world there would be different perspectives in regard to worship. Some of the higher class of society had participated in the rituals with their wealth. However, the poorer members of society were “used” for that worship. Slaves were held captive by their owners to keep the Roman society functioning. All of these individuals were becoming one in the church and this was a community the likes of which the world had never before encountered. The community of the church was to be radically different from anything experienced in the world. This was a place that brought together slave and free, Jew and Greek, male and female. This required work because it was not natural. Working out our salvation will require work within the body of Christ, the church, to be united in the way in which God intended. 

  • Working out our salvation includes our participation in the secular world. Following the self-emptying pattern of Jesus’ humility means that we will shine like stars in the world. Shining like stars means that we are light in the midst of the darkness, refusing to act or respond in the same way that the world might. The love of God is to overflow to those whom we may see as unlovable. That’s why this is work. Just think of the work that was done by Jesus Christ on our behalf! We are unworthy of God’s love, but we are loved anyhow. That’s what is expected of God’s people in the world. 

Working out our salvation is something that we are to do every day of our lives. When we stop working out, or living out our salvation, we fail to participate in the mission of God. God has never stopped working and acting in our world, and neither should we. I’m grateful for the grace of God that continues to change my will and my work. Thanks be to God. 

Prayer

Lord, please help me to fully participate in you and your mission. Help me to work out my salvation every single day of my life. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification