Are You Really Listening?

Who is he listening to when we're trying to take a picture? :)



Scripture:


Luke 6:46   “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I tell you? 47 I will show you what someone is like who comes to me, hears my words, and acts on them. 48 That one is like a man building a house, who dug deeply and laid the foundation on rock; when a flood arose, the river burst against that house but could not shake it, because it had been well built. 49 But the one who hears and does not act is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the river burst against it, immediately it fell, and great was the ruin of that house.”


Observation:


Luke brings us to the end of Jesus’ sermon. When we think about this, he has been focused on the development of his disciples. There have been plenty of “listeners” around, the massive crowds who have been taking in his words, but he’s really concerned about the inner circle and whether they truly understand what this life of discipleship is going to cost them. 


The people surrounding were willing to call him Lord, because of what he was doing for them, but the reality of that title had to be lived out in their lives. If the disciples were going to call Jesus “Lord,” then they would need to live as if he were their Lord. To call Jesus Lord was to acknowledge that he was the patron of your life, replacing the Lord of the Empire, Caesar. This is placing all allegiance in Jesus, and not the things of this world.   


They could not just be “hearers” of the word, they had to become “doers.” According to Neale, “Those who ‘hear’ and ‘do’ are like those who build a foundation on bedrock. They are safe from the metaphorical storms of life” (NBBC).


Application:


I have to confess that there are times when my husband talks to me and I’m not really listening. I might be reading something, or looking at my computer and all of a sudden I realize that I have not really “heard” what he is saying. It’s a bit embarrassing — and if there just might have been important instructions in that conversation, I’m really lost. 


Jesus’ concern for the crowds and the disciples was for them to really listen. He was giving important instructions that would be life-changing. However, if they had just come along for the excitement and the miracles, they would risk missing out on the really important, life-changing teaching of Jesus. Jesus’ preaching should lead to a re-orientation of life, one that is so radical that it will create a dependence upon Jesus in every aspect of our lives. 


Ultimately, the way in which we live our lives should demonstrate the Lordship of Jesus. Pondering this passage, I wonder whether my neighbors would see the Lordship of Jesus in my life, or whether I appear to be just like any other person in the neighborhood. We all fit into the world pretty well, with the cars we drive, the houses we live in, the clothing that we wear, and the activities that fill our day. What is it about our lives that makes us different, if we really do call Jesus, “Lord?” 


I think the answer has to come from listening — truly listening. When we read the Word of God, we need to listen and study without distractions, asking the Lord to speak to us. We must learn to discern the voice and leading of the Lord. Then, the Lord will give us guidance, on a daily basis, as to how we should live our lives. These could be subtle places of obedience that are not noticeable to those around us, or they could be big rock ideas that cannot be hidden. 


To hear and do is to slowly, but surely, build our house on a strong foundation. It doesn’t happen overnight, but in the long process and time of listening. 


One of the pandemic blessings has been more time with my husband. We enjoy more meals together around the table as we are no longer constantly “on the go.” These have become undistracted times of conversation and prayer together. I cherish these moments — and I listen a lot better too!


Prayer:


Lord, help me to be disciplined in tuning out the distractions so that I can truly hear from you, and do what you desire. Amen. 


Comments

  1. Hi Carla,

    I wanted to reach out and say I enjoy checking out your reflections every once in a while. I have been engaging in a similar practice in my own devotional time based on the HEAR method. Any type of journaling process like this, HEAR, SOAP, COTN (kidding), or whatever can be so helpful for us as believers, and I think it's so valuable that you are modeling it in this way! - Blessings, Roland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roland. It has made such a difference in my own life.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification