Romans

 

Twenty years ago in Rome. 

Romans. I've decided that I'm going to take the plunge and a deep dive into this Epistle. I've spent the last year and a half in Luke, which has really been life-changing. The lessons on discipleship and the importance of that life of discipleship have had a deep impact on me. Slowing down to read the scripture in more depth has led me to a greater understanding so now, I embark upon Romans. 

In my studies I use a number of commentaries, but I always begin with the "New Beacon Bible Commentary" (NBBC) from the Foundry. Why? Because I love the Wesleyan/Holiness perspective that is provided. It's a very balanced approach to the reading of God's word and is accessible to all. I also use a few other tools. Since I'm a Mac user, I like to use the "Accordance" Bible software. I've had Logos in the past but I have to confess -- it uses up too much energy and space, and I prefer Accordance. I've used it for years. There I have access to the "New International Commentary on the Old Testament" and the "New International Commentary on the New Testament" (NICOT and NICNT). Probably one of my favorites is the "Ancient Christian Commentary" series by Odom. This is where we read what the early church fathers had to say about these passages of scripture. Also included are "Wesley's Notes" -- which I find fascinating. All of this to say -- this is part of my slowing down process. I'm trying to learn deeply from the word of God.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because there may be some who would like to go on this journey with me through the book of Romans. It's going to take time, but you are certainly welcome. The last few days I've been busy reading introductory material. Here's just a little tidbit:

"Among the dramatic changes that will mark the practice of the Christian community, Paul mentions the mutuality of humble believers who use their gifts for the benefit of the entire community (12:3–8). Such a church will put unpretentious love into practice, both inside and outside the community (12:9–21)" (Edlin & Modine, NBBC).


Now, there's a challenge for us today! The humble mutuality of believers who are to use their gifts for the benefit of others. That would be transformational in our world. Maybe the book of Romans has something to tell us about how we are to be living our lives in a world that is beginning to look more and more like first century Rome. 


Prayer: Lord, as I embark on this journey, would your Spirit open my mind to learn more about you and what it means to follow you in this world. Amen. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification