Lean into Hope

On the wall at the new residence for 
missionaries in training in Clearwater, Florida. 


Scripture

Romans 15:13

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Observation

Paul has been quoting the Scriptures to affirm God's plan for both Jews and Gentiles. He makes it clear that the gospel is for all people. Then, almost unexpectedly, he breaks into a benediction. Perhaps he is extending this blessing over the diverse community of believers in Rome, praying that they would find their unity in Christ.

This blessing centers on a new kind of hope, one that stands in sharp contrast to the hopes offered by the Roman Empire. Rome even had a goddess of Hope, but Paul points instead to the God of hope, who fills His people with joy and peace. Joy and peace are fruit of the Spirit, evidence of His transforming work in the lives of those who believe.

Although Paul uses different language than he does in his letter to the Thessalonians, I hear echoes of that same "through and through" work of the Holy Spirit. God does not give us a little hope to carry us through difficult days. By the power of the Holy Spirit, He enables us to abound in hope—a hope that permeates every part of our lives.

Application

I'm struck by how often Paul returns to the theme of hope. Yet when I think about his life, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. He endured hardship, persecution, imprisonment, and uncertainty, yet he never allowed his circumstances to define him. He hoped for the day when he would see these believers again. He hoped for the day when he would be with Christ. He hoped to continue investing in those he had discipled.

Instead of being defined by his circumstances, he leaned into hope.

I like that image of leaning into hope. It suggests moving forward, even against the wind, trusting that God is already at work in the future toward which He is leading us.

There is something beautiful about living with hope. We don't need to know exactly what tomorrow holds or how every problem will be resolved. Hope reminds us that God is already there. Because of that, we can experience joy and peace today.

The older I get, the more I realize that deeply abiding in the Lord through the power of the Holy Spirit changes the way I experience this world. It doesn't remove the challenges or eliminate the difficult circumstances. It changes me.

Last evening, just before going to bed, I found myself singing, "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart." Nothing extraordinary had happened that day. The challenges had not disappeared. Yet I recognized that the Holy Spirit had been quietly at work within me in ways I had never experienced before.

So even when we face headwinds, we lean into hope. We keep pressing forward. We continue abiding in Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit. And as we do, we discover that we are not merely surviving—we are abounding in hope.

Prayer

Lord, thank You for Your goodness and Your unfailing love. Help me to lean into Your hope each day, trusting the work of Your Holy Spirit within me. Amen.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sheep, in a Pit, on the Sabbath

Take Off Your Ornaments

A Centurion Named Julius