Thanks, Grandpa!



 

Scripture

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come?
(Psalms 121:1 NASB)
My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.
(Psalms 121:2 NASB)

Observation

Psalm 121 is one of my favorite. It has great words and a message of hope to all of us who need it. However, that's not the reason it's one of my favorites. As a child, I rarely saw my grandparents, because we lived on two different continents. It's a strange thing when you only see your grandparents once every four years of your life and yet, there was something special that I remembered about my grandfather. This man had an incredible personal relationship with God. Even as a child, I had that figured out. Whenever we visited their home we would have to stop and have devotions several times a day. I was convinced that Grandpa had the whole Bible memorized for he could quote long passages. This, I believe, was one of his favorites and so as I read it today, I could hear Grandpa Johnson's voice speaking the words, (only in the KJV)... "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."

Application

Why did this make such a profound impact on me? Because I knew that my grandparents had very little in terms of material wealth. They struggled through fifty years of ministry in little churches in the State of Nebraska. Grandpa built many church buildings with his own two hands, even making the blocks himself. They had a daughter with Down's Syndrome who never learned to talk or even to feed herself, and yet they lovingly cared for her day in and day out. Somehow when Grandpa spoke these words from this Psalm, I knew they were real because he knew where his help came from. His help for his daily life came from the Lord in heaven whom he had come to know and love throughout his life. I used to think that when Grandpa prayed that he plugged straight into heaven. It didn't matter that the rest of us were there, we were simply an audience where two, Grandpa and Jesus, were having an intimate conversation.
I thank you Grandpa, for passing on your faith. Thank you for teaching me that each and every day my help comes from the one above.

Prayer

Lord, may I live this day with my eyes on You and the help that comes from You alone! Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification