Think About These Things

Think About These Things

Scripture:

Philippians 4:8
Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Observation:

It's obvious that everyone has moments in time when life is difficult.  It's easy to focus on the negative and what's wrong...and even easier to grumble about it.  Here we are given a cure for this problem or habit.  Intentionally focusing on the good is a habit which needs to be formed in our lives.  Think about these things!

Application:

I've just been sitting on an airplane for two hours, not going anywhere.  I'm tired and would like to get home and just when I thought I was going somewhere, I ended up nowhere.  We had some kind of a problem with a clogged oil filter and basically needed an oil change.  We are on the runway now and I'm assuming we will be taking off any moment.

Throughout the last two hours people have been getting antsy.  Weather is deteriorating across parts of the country which can cause further delays.  Connections have now been missed and rebooking options are full.  Some people got angry and got off the plane.  Oh the joys of travel.

Sometimes it's hard in the midst of life's circumstances to think about good things, however Paul knew that this was good medicine.  What's the best way to deal with a frustrating situation?  If we allow ourselves to be consumed by the emotions of the moment we will be caught up in frustration, but if we relax and focus in the good things of life, it can be okay.

I've texted my husband my new arrival time.  It should be just before dinner tonight so, he can just pick me up and we can go out to eat.  Sounds good to me.

Also, I'm having the opportunity to think on good things...read the word and do this little journaling here.  It's a good thing to make me stop and think.  When I called Delta the agent was perky and friendly and took care of me right away.  There's a baby giggling about three rows back.  I love hearing that laugh.

There are good things in life that need our focus and attention.  Sure, life may throw us some curve balls but let's keep our focus on the things that are true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing and excellent.  Then, may we move in that direction in our own lives.

Prayer:

Lord, thanks for a gentle reminder today.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification