Pay Attention To How You Listen



Scripture:


Luke 8:16 ¶ “No one after lighting a lamp hides it under a jar, or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a lampstand, so that those who enter may see the light.
Luke 8:17 For nothing is hidden that will not be disclosed, nor is anything secret that will not become known and come to light.
Luke 8:18 Then pay attention to how you listen; for to those who have, more will be given; and from those who do not have, even what they seem to have will be taken away.”

Observation:


The daily life of a Christian reveals the true character of the individual.  This is a serious relationship and one that should infuse every part of our being. 

Why do you turn on a light?  So that it will light the room.  You don’t turn it on just to hide it under something. 

The seriousness of this Christian walk cannot be emphasized more because there is nothing that we do that can be hidden from God.  What we do day in and day out will reveal who we are and whom we are following.  That’s why we need to pay attention as to how we listen to the Lord.  The light given to us from the Lord is not meant to be hidden somewhere.  Instead that light is to shine on and inform our lives so that we will be different.  The intention of the light of Christ is to shine into the dark corners of our lives so that those areas can be cleaned up, as well as to light the pathway on which we are to travel.  

That’s why we need to pay attention!  Take action when the light shines and if we do, God will give even more, but if we don’t, we will lose it all.

Application:

Have you ever been having a conversation with someone and at some point you kind of “zone out?”  All of a sudden you become aware that you have not heard the last 30 seconds or so of that conversation and you wonder how to respond?  I have to confess, that has certainly happened to me! 

I think that’s what Jesus is talking about in our spiritual lives.  We need to pay attention as to how we will listen to the Lord.  His word is here to guide us in our lives every single day.  There are times when I read a passage of scripture and I’ve kind of “zoned out” on that too!  I’ll get to the end of a chapter and realize I had not been paying attention and I'll have to go back and read it again.  You see, if I really want the word to change who I am and affect the way in which I live my life every single day, then I have to pay attention.  I must pay attention with the intent that the word that I read or hear is to inform my life in such a way that it forms me spiritually. 

Are you paying attention to what Jesus is offering you, or are you taking the word of God, skimming it and putting it back on the nightstand?  If so, then maybe you’re lighting a lamp and hiding it under a jar!

Prayer:


Lord, may your light shine in me today.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification