We Need Community

We Need Community

Scripture

Exodus 17:8-13
Amalek Attacks Israel and Is Defeated
 Then Amalek came and fought with Israel at Rephidim. Moses said to Joshua, “Choose some men for us and go out, fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.” So Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed; and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses’ hands grew weary; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; so his hands were steady until the sun set. And Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the sword.

Observation:

This story of Aaron and Hur is a classical example for us that we are made to live and work together in community.  Moses may have been the leader but he could not do all of the work on his own.  He needed the assistance of those who were willing to partner with him and that partnership brought about victory for the entire community.  Every member had their own responsibility and only when each completed what they were to do did they all experience the defeat of their enemy.

It's interesting that after this account in the Scripture we are told about the visit of Jethro, Moses' father-in-law who helps him understand the need of delegation.  Moses thought he had to do everything on his own, but there was a better way!

Application:

Too often I'm afraid we think that we have to do everything on own.  Surely it must be our responsibility tackle all of these obstacles which lie ahead.  However, that's not how God created us.  Instead we were created to exist in community; in a place where we would help one another out to get the entire job done.

What does that look like within a community of faith?  For me, it has meant learning to depend upon a group of Aarons and Hurs who are living out life with me as a prayer team - my community.  Early on in my ministry years in Russia I remember feeling like I was running out of fuel, both physically and spiritually.  I was discouraged that I didn't have the time that I wanted to spend in prayer and soaking in the word.  Life was just too crazy and I had little children at home.  It was in conversation with a friend that I was reminded that while I might not have the time now, others did, and they were partnering with me...praying prayers with me and for me.  This is an amazing understanding of intercessory prayer...someone praying my prayers for me when I cannot.  Aaron and Hur were lifting the arms of Moses when he could not!

We cannot do it all alone, and we cannot go it all alone day in and day out.  We were not created to live they way.  Instead, we were created to live within a community of faith who would each take turns being Aaron and Hur for one another.

What society may view as a weakness, God has intended for our strength.  We must be intentional, becoming connected to a community of faith.  Only there will we find our Aaron and Hurs who will help carry us through when we can't do it on our own.

Prayer:

Lord, thank you for my Aaron and Hurs.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification