Seeking the face of the LORD



Scripture:

Psa. 27:8     “Come,” my heart says, “seek his face!”
        Your face, LORD, do I seek.
Psa. 27:9         Do not hide your face from me.

Observation:

The Psalmist recognizes the need for God in life.  Created to be a reflection of God, one can only reflect what one sees.  Therefore the Psalmist is seeking the face of God.  When we look into the very face of God, then the face of God is reflected in us for all the world to see.  It is in this face to face and nose to nose relationship that our lives are set aright. 

Application:

We get up and what is the first thing we do in the morning?  I believe the Psalmist is teaching us the need to seek the face of God! 

If I am to be a reflection of the LORD in the world then I must be in a deeply personal relationship with him.  My alignment with him must be kept right. 

The Psalmist cries out, “Do not hide your face from me.”  The reality is that God doesn’t hide his face from us.  He remains the constant in the relationship, constantly looking in our direction, never hiding his face from us.  We are the ones who get out of alignment.  When we turn our heads in another direction, then we cannot find the face of God.  When we are cowering or hiding behind the rock, we won’t be able to see the face of God.  When we have become distracted by the things around us, we won’t be able to see the face of the Lord. 

Lord — “do not hide your face from me” is a cry for help.  Lord, help me to remain in the right place so that I can continue to look on your face! 

As a follower of Christ it is our responsibility to seek his face on a daily basis.  Then, may the glory of God be reflected in and through us in all things.  When the reflection is not visible, take responsibility for having gotten out of alignment.  He is not hiding from you, you are hiding from him.  Come out from behind the distractions and look on him, face to face. 

Now, take the face of the LORD into the world so that others may find him too!

Prayer:

Lord, may I seek you today and every day.  Amen.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification