Come Before Winter



Scripture:

2 Timothy  4:21 Do your best to come before winter.

Observation:

It appears that Paul is coming to the end of his life and the struggles are real. He is tired and worn out. Soon it will be winter and he needs his cloak because Rome will be cold. He wants some of his study materials as well, and he really wants to see Timothy. 

Paul knew what it was like to sail the Mediterranean during the winter for he had suffered shipwreck in a terrible storm. Most captains would not attempt to travel during this treacherous season. Paul wanted Timothy to consider his safety, and the practicality of traveling. He really needed Timothy to come soon, before winter set in, probably because he felt this would be his last opportunity to see him. Paul sensed that not much time was left and the time for action was now. 

Application:

We all live through the seasons of life, each providing joys and sorrows. Through the seasons we have the opportunity to grow and to develop as God’s holy people. We can embrace what life brings our way, or we can resist the grace of God. 

Eventually winter will come, and with it a period of reflection. We may become concerned with our financial security, and the need for a “cloak” to get us through the final season of life. Our memories may become a little dull and reminders of the things we have studied in life may be needed. Finally, being surrounded by those who love us becomes very meaningful as we await the last transition. 

Spiritually we need to come to the Lord before winter. Waiting for the last season of life means that we may miss out on what God has for us. Living the Spirit-filled life is possible in every season. When we come before winter we have the privilege of embracing a life of continual transformation into the image of Jesus Christ. Coming before winter means a life of holiness, where all that we have is laid before the Master, to be used throughout the entire journey. 

I’ve watched my parents live a life of holiness faithfully throughout their seasons. Now, like the Apostle Paul, they are reaching winter. They call and ask for me to come and visit, before it becomes too late, or too difficult — or before they forget who I am. Coming before winter means more to me now as I want to embrace every moment that I can with my parents who are living out the final season of their lives. I don’t want to wait, but I want to soak up every opportunity to be with them, provide them security and comfort. 

I want to come to my Savior before winter as well. I don’t want to wait too long. I want to experience the joy and comfort of being in my Lord’s presence now, and for all of eternity. 

Winter is coming faster than we can imagine. Don’t wait too long. Come before winter. 

Prayer:


Lord, may this be a day of drawing nearer to you in all things. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification