Planted by Streams of Water



Scripture:

Psalms 1:1-3

Happy are those
who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the path that sinners tread,
or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees
planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.

Observation:

The Psalmist seems to understand that joy found deep down comes from meditating on the law of the Lord. It is in meditating, in a place of prayer, that we are drawn into fellowship with the Triune God. Therefore, there is no time to follow the path of sinners or to become negative and scoff. Instead the focus is positive, and it is on the Lord our God. 

When we dwell in the presence of God most high, then we are fed by and through the Holy Spirit. We become as a tree that has been planted next to the streams of water. It is always fed and nourished and therefore will produce fruit in its season. 

Application:

There haven’t been any devotional posts the last ten days. I have to confess that I have been tired and weary in this journey. From jet-lag to speaking engagements to the reality of the fragility of life, one can become worn out. 

A number of months ago I wrote a post called “A Slow Grief” in which I recounted the journey we have been on with my mother. Her journey has now come to an end and we are on our way to celebrate her life. In December she had told me that the draw to heaven was so strong and that, while she would miss me, she needed to go. Last Wednesday, in our final conversation, I prayed with her and asked for God’s blessed presence as she finished the final step of her journey. 

Sometimes we just need to plant ourselves by the streams of water, meditate on our Lord, and be sustained in the journey. I don’t feel as if I have much that I can give to others right now, but I’m very grateful for the incredible love of our Lord. My delight is in the Lord, my God, who carries us through when we have no strength. 

While it may feel like a season in which to simply be planted in God’s presence, it should be a constant reality. If I am planted by the streams during the good days, then I have strength for the days that become more challenging. Soaking in the word of God on a regular basis feeds and sustains us so that we are carried through when we simply have no strength. 

Fruit will be yielded in season. It may not be today, but it will come. And I will not wither for I will be sustained. 

Grateful for the streams of water today. 

Prayer:


Lord, I rest my heart and life in you. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification