Testimony

The airline wanted me to “trust” them that this luggage tag was really going
to get my bag to its destination. I’d rather put my trust in the Lord! 


Scripture:

Psa. 91:1    You who live in the shelter of the Most High,
who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
2 will say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress;
my God, in whom I trust.”

Observation:

These verses are a testimony by the Psalmist. Through the experiences of life the Psalmist has learned to live in the shelter of the Most High. It is God who provides a place of shelter in the midst of difficulties, whether in the cleft of a rock, or simply by the shadow of God’s presence. The experience will lead all of those with this experience to proclaim a word of testimony, declaring that we do not trust in the things of this world, but we will put our trust in God.

Application:

Every day we make decisions that reflect where we are placing our trust. If we are a follower of Christ, we declare that we are following and trusting God, but if we examine our actions, that may not be true. If we were to give a testimony about the things in which we really put our trust it may include things like:

  • My savings account
  • My job
  • My friends
  • My spouse
  • The government

Could we really join the Psalmist in saying that our entire trust is in God? If we can’t say a resounding “yes” to that question, then maybe we ought to re-examine where we find ourselves in life. Complete and total surrender to God means that we relinquish our fears and our insecurities and place all of our trust in God. It is in God that we discover the secure hiding place, emotionally and spiritually. Sometimes God provides for a physical safe haven as well. We are invited to live so close to God that we are covered by the shadow of God. It’s in that space that we breathe the very air that God breathes, and the presence of the most high is felt at all times, even in the darkness. 

It’s in recognizing the holy presence of our protector that we learn to wholeheartedly trust. When that happens, we will want to join with the Psalmist in testimony. God is my strength! God is my refuge! God is my shelter! I will put my trust in God, day in and day out, for I know that everything else will fail me. 

What’s your testimony?

Prayer:


Lord, forgive us for all the ways in which we have not trusted you! Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification