Hope Filled-Expectation

I loved his smile -- and the twinkle in his eye. He remained optimistic, even in "lock-down."


Scripture

Phil. 1:20 It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be put to shame in any way, but that by my speaking with all boldness, Christ will be exalted now as always in my body, whether by life or by death.

Observation

Paul lived in a shame-based society where being in prison should have been of great concern to his reputation. What he had realized was that the ways in which he may be shamed in the world had nothing to do with the way in which he lived in the kingdom of God. He didn’t want Jesus to be ashamed of the way in which Paul encountered the gospel. He wanted Christ to be lifted up in every circumstance and so he lived in eager expectation and hope, even while in prison. Christ would be exalted because Paul gave up his entire body as a living sacrifice to Jesus. Therefore, if helped or died, Jesus would be glorified. 

Application

I tried to call my dad almost every day after my mom passed away. Sometimes I would catch him sitting in his recliner next to the phone, but other days he didn’t answer. Over the last couple of months the conversation was almost always the same; “You know we’re on lock-down over here.” “Yes, Dad, I know. I’m sorry but almost the whole world is on lock-down. I wish I could come and see you.” “Well, it’s alright, I’m doing ok.” He always had a cheerful attitude and tried to look on the bright side of his circumstances, but he would also let me know that if the Lord saw fit to take him, he was really ready to go. He was always a little apologetic about that because he didn’t want me to feel badly about that comment, but he was at peace. He lived with the hope filled-expectation of heaven and so “lock-down” was really okay. 

Paul had a sense of certainty in this hope filled-expectation. So did my dad. And today, many of us continue with this “lock-down” and simply may need a reminder that there is a hope filled-expectation that Christ will be exalted! Whether life looks anything like it did in the past, or whether the future becomes something entirely different, I want Christ to be exalted. Paul continually teaches us that our circumstances do not define who we are when we live “in” Christ. Living “in” Christ defines everything about our lives and the circumstances become simply secondary. 

“Lock-down” really is okay, because of hope filled-expectation. 

Prayer

Lord, thank you for the reminder from Paul today. May holy boldness flow through what I say and do, even in “lock-down.” Amen. 

Comments

  1. Hey Carla, Mike B here, It didn't dawn on me till reading this that you were not with your dad when he left us. That's a special kind of pain. Thank you for redeeming your pain by transforming it into encouragement for me, for us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification