What is Time?




Scripture:


2Pet. 3:8   But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like one day. 9 The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some think of slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and everything that is done on it will be disclosed.


Observation:


While the church of the first century awaited the return of the Messiah, Peter wanted them to understand that God’s timing was not the same as that of humans. He quoted from Psalm 90:4, pointing back to the God of the Old Testament, who is just as faithful as the God of the New Testament. “God is under no compulsion to carry out his promise according to man’s understanding of time” (Mounce 1982, 141). 


All the while, God’s people are to be living as though Jesus will return at any moment. The surprise element of Jesus’ return means that all that people have tried to keep hidden will be revealed. Light will shine in the darkness and Truth will reign. 


Application:


On Saturday I received a preview of a video that will be released this coming weekend. I became so absorbed in the worship music that I lost all track of time. It was as if time stood still and I was caught up in worshipping the Lord. Because of this I missed an appointment that was on my calendar! This doesn’t happen to me very often, but there is something about being carried away in God’s time that is beautiful and soul satisfying. Any attempts on our part to try and define God by the time and space in which we live will be inadequate. 


When I was a little girl I used to have long conversations with my mother, wanting to make sense of the things that I was learning in school and what I was learning about God. She was a very intelligent woman and after her death I discovered that she had many a conversation like this with my brothers and my nieces and nephews. When concerned about whether God had done certain works within a particular time frame, she often quoted this verse from 2 Peter. She had no concern about the ability of modern science to answer all the questions, because she had faith and trust in God. She also understood that God’s ways are not the same as ours and that when we try to explain God’s actions within our framework, we will get into trouble. The people of the first century thought they had all the answers and their answers are now outdated — but God’s answers aren’t! God’s truths are those that last for all of time — God’s time and our time. 


We are in the midst of this great pandemic and sometimes it seems as if time has slowed to snail’s pace. I know that we are all wondering when this will be over and yet, to God, this time may be the blink of an eye. Just as we are to be prepared for the thief in the night, may we not become weary during this time and let our guard down. God is patient with us, giving us the opportunity to be faithful in His time, and ours. We may not understand it all, but we continue to live in faith, day in and day out, by God’s grace.


Prayer:


Lord, my life is in your hands. Whatever time you give me is in your hands. May I use these gifts wisely. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification