Undivided Passion



Scripture:


Psa. 86:11     Teach me your way, O LORD,
        that I may walk in your truth;
        give me an undivided heart to revere your name.
Psa. 86:12     I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
        and I will glorify your name forever.
Psa. 86:13     For great is your steadfast love toward me;
        you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.

Observation:

The Psalmist is praying to the Lord and in his prayer, we can find ourselves.  The way of the LORD is the path on which we are to journey.  It is a journey that leads us into truth and ultimately this leads us into a personal relationship with God, one in which our hearts are no longer divided over the things of this world.  Instead, we love God and serve him with our whole hearts. 

The result is that our undivided passion is in love, worship and service to God.  Great is God’s love toward us for he has lifted us up and brought us into the beauty of our relationship with him, saving us from the depths of the muck and mire found in Sheol. 

Application:

The divided heart is torn by competing passions.  The things of this world, even when they are good, can take us away from loving God with all our heart.  This includes all the activities of family, sports, work, leisure time and such.  The Psalmist understood that all of these had to be placed within the context of the relationship with God.  The undivided heart must love God with all their heart, soul, mind and strength and in doing so, then all of the other facets of life will come into alignment.  They will be fulfilling because they will be filled up with God.  The result will be an undivided passion that infuses our lives.

Prayer:

Lord, teach me your way and give me an undivided heart.  Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification