Rock and Fortress


Scripture
Psa. 31:0   To the leader. A Psalm of David.
1 In you, O Lord, I seek refuge;
do not let me ever be put to shame;
in your righteousness deliver me.
2 Incline your ear to me;
rescue me speedily.
Be a rock of refuge for me,
a strong fortress to save me.

Psa. 31:3    You are indeed my rock and my fortress;
for your name’s sake lead me and guide me,
4 take me out of the net that is hidden for me,
for you are my refuge.
5 Into your hand I commit my spirit;
you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.

Observation

The Psalmist had come to recognize that there are two options for trust in this world. Either it will the rock and fortress of God, or the trap of the enemy. Enemies laid a trap for David, hoping to catch him, but God provided a fortress, a place of safety and security. David had learned the answer to the different situations which he had faced. The crisis was to be met with seeking God through prayer. The heart of the seeker was to be entirely devoted and trusting in the faithful Lord, the one who had redeemed. 

This prayer rests on the foundation of knowing all that the Lord has already revealed about himself. Knowing God leads to a life of complete and total trust, and suddenly David finds himself, not caught up in the snare or trap, but standing in the fortress, protected by our faithful God. 

Application

We have a choice in life. We can allow ourselves to become trapped by our circumstances, or we can rest within the walls of the Fortress. 

Probably the greatest difficulty is finding our way to the Fortress, or Rock. David was able to completely and totally trust in God because he had come to know God through prayer. It is only through prayer and studying the word that we will get to know the very nature of God. It is in God that we are to put all of our hope and trust, then we are led and guided to that place where we are surrounded by the very presence of God on high. In the coolness of the fortress walls we can can breathe deeply and relax, safe from the enemies reach. Together with David we commit our spirit to the faithful God who will lead us to a place of complete and total rest. The Lord is our Rock and Fortress.

Prayer

Lord, thank you for your continual reminder that you are with us. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification