This Journey of Life


Scripture
Psa. 23:0   A Psalm of David.
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
3 he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake.

Psa. 23:4    Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—
they comfort me.

Psa. 23:5    You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.

Observation

The Psalmist had come to a place of understanding regarding the journey of life. Without the Lord, he would have wandered, aimlessly seeking his way. Journeying with the Lord meant that everything changed. Times of rest became a part of the routine, and refreshment came from what the good shepherd provided. The dark and troubling times of life were filled with comfort. Even when confronting his enemies, the cup of God’s goodness and mercy overflowed. His journey in the present  would lead to life eternal with the Lord.

Application

The roadmap of life may not always lead us to where we want to be and yet, the Psalmist reminds us that the Lord will be with us. 

I like the imagery of the Shepherd who takes us to the green pastures and fresh water. There are times when we need to simply relax and allow our souls and bodies to be refreshed. We need to slow down and enjoy what God has placed right before us. It’s far too easy to become so busy that we miss out on everything that surrounds us. 

There will be dark valleys in life. No one has been guaranteed a perfectly smooth road but the promise is one of protection. Both on our right and on our left, the Lord will be with us. 

We may even find ourselves in enemy territory, placed before those who do not agree with us, or may even be out to get us. Love them! Allow the anointing oil of love to overflow,  and make a difference in the lives of those we touch.

And the journey will eventually lead us home where we can rest eternally in the Lord’s holy presence. But while we’re on the journey we can already taste the peace of this holy presence. 

There will always be a journey, but the Lord promises to travel every step of the way with us. We rest in God’s leading, guiding, and comfort. 

Prayer

Lord, may I rest in your guidance today. Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification