The Gift

My mom a few years ago at her NNU reunion. 



Scripture:

Revelation 21:5-7

And the one who was seated on the throne said, “See, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true.” Then he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life. Those who conquer will inherit these things, and I will be their God and they will be my children.

Observation:

The beautiful promise of the Lamb is to make all things new. We are called to trust in God for his “words are trustworthy and true.” All the work required for this gift has been completed. There truly is nothing to worry about because the God who was at the beginning continues until the very end. 

For those who have never been satisfied, who have searched for water to quench their ever-present thirst, the gift has been given. This gift is satisfying water, which quenches every thirst, and provides the water of life. 

This gift comes from the Father, who will give his children all things as an inheritance. 

Application:

As we continue through the Christmas season we embrace the idea of gift-giving. For months some have been planning and preparing for these moments when we give just the right gift to our loved ones. While they are special, they are temporal. 

It’s during this Christmas season that I have been thinking about and pondering the eternal gifts mentioned in this passage. We have been sorting my parents personal things and preparing them to move into a small assisted-living apartment. There are the gifts that they have received through the years for which there simply is no room in their new space. Many of the temporal gifts had to go, to be given to others, or donated. My parents didn’t want anything earthly for Christmas this year because they are shedding the things of this world. 

One morning when my mother’s mind was clear she looked me in the eye and said, “the draw of heaven of is very strong. I will miss you, but I want to go.” When I look at my mother I think about all things being made new. How wonderful it will be for her to have a new body, and a clear mind. You see, she trusts wholeheartedly in her Savior and believes in new life with him! 

All the medications and treatments of earth cannot restore my mother’s health. She can’t wait to drink deeply from the spring of living water that will bring new life. The best gift awaits her, and that is the promise of heaven, for she knows that she is a child of God. 

All the gifts of this world pale in comparison to the gift promised us from the Father. I pray that God will provide opportunities for us to share this gift during this season. 

Prayer:

Lord, please open the door of opportunity to share your gift today. Amen.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification