Why Are You Going to Church Today?



Scripture

Psa. 95:1        O come, let us sing to the LORD;
        let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!
2     Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving;
        let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!

Observation

The invitation is for all to enter into the place of worship before the LORD. The songs and joyful noise are for the LORD’s sake. We are privileged to enter into his presence and should bring with us thanksgiving. The songs we sing are for him. The joyful noise in worship is for him!

Application

This is Sunday and today Christians around the world will go to church. Why are we going? I think if I asked that question of a number of church goers I would receive a variety of answers.

I like the music.

I enjoy hearing the preacher.

I like seeing my family and friends.

I enjoy the fellowship.

I’m learning in my Sunday School class.

I’ve always gone and so it’s just a part of my routine. I’d really be missing out if I didn’t attend.


None of these are bad answers, but they may be indicative of the fact that we fail to understand that worship is about God. We go to the Lord’s house so that we may participate in worship of him. The service, the studies, the fellowship, are all ways in which we worship God. Everything ought to be pointing in the direction of God, our Creator, Savior and Sustainer.

We are invited today to enter his presence. May we go with thanksgiving and may we sing praises and make a joyful noise to the LORD! Remember, it’s all about him.

Prayer

Lord, thank you for the privilege of entering your house today.  Amen.

Comments

  1. That’s right! Church goers do need to understand that worship is about God, and not only because we get to enjoy the music and see our family and friends. We must realize that the reason we go to church is only for God as the center and to enjoy His presence. Thank you for sharing such encouraging words!

    Brent Foster @ Fairway Ministries

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification