Parting Thoughts





Scripture:

1Kings 2:1   When David’s time to die drew near, he charged his son Solomon, saying: 2 “I am about to go the way of all the earth. Be strong, be courageous, 3 and keep the charge of the LORD your God, walking in his ways and keeping his statutes, his commandments, his ordinances, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, so that you may prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn. 4 Then the LORD will establish his word that he spoke concerning me: ‘If your heirs take heed to their way, to walk before me in faithfulness with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail you a successor on the throne of Israel.’

Observation:

David calls his son Solomon to his side, knowing that he would soon be passing away. He wants to give Solomon his parting thoughts. This father recognizes that the most important and foundational truth for his son’s life, is the he should walk in the ways of God. If Solomon will live into this truth, then he will lead the people of God well. His responsibility is far beyond his own life and the personal impact, for the decisions that he makes will be reflected on all of God’s people. For this generation and beyond, David’s line will remain on the throne, if the king is faithful to God. 

Application:

When you think about it, those parting thoughts should not have been too difficult to embrace. I think we ought to realize that these words could just as simply have been said by Christ at his departure from this earth. What if we were to take these parting words to heart and recognize that we have a charge in this world?

There is no promise of an easy life. We are called to be strong and courageous in the midst of the challenges of the day. Really, the only way this is possible is by walking in the ways of the LORD and keeping his statutes. There are laws, and commandments which have been handed down to us. We are to heed the things that we have received from those who have gone before and by doing so, we will provide for our own peace as well as those within our care. 

While we ought to embrace these parting words, I wonder whether we’ve ever contemplated our own parting words? If I were to be on my deathbed, what is the last thing I would want to share with my family members? I believe there are life lessons that I have learned that I would be desperate to pass along to those who will have the opportunity to maintain this legacy after I’m gone.

What’s interesting is when I think about my parting words or thoughts, I begin to wonder if they would be about the Lord, or other things. It makes me question what is of the utmost priority in my life. David’s parting thoughts were that the kingdom would be maintained with the priority of faithful service to God. He had lived a life in which his heart was deeply intertwined with the heart of God. 

I want to be strong and courageous, answering the charge; walking in God’s ways, keeping the Lord’s statues, commandments, ordinances and testimonies. I want my parting words to be about the One with whom I have fallen deeply in love during this life journey and I want to pass along the baton of faith to those who will come after me. 

Prayer:

Lord, thank you for having me consider my parting thoughts. Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Off Your Ornaments

Does God Value Boys More than Girls?

The Advantage of Sanctification